Thursday, January 8, 2009

First week of the year winding down

One more day to go, this week has flown by. It has been great at work, the usual for this year. Yesterday I was supposed to introduce a class to researching and citations, but the teacher had a conference so I had the kids for 90 minutes, sometimes I forget how much fun it was to be in the classroom ~ and how much running you can do in a small space. The project was fun, the kids were creating presentations on the authors mentioned in Richard Wright's Black Boy... each kid had a different author and I had make a quickie jumping off point to get them started, just click the pictures or the books. This group of sophomores have been in my favorite high school for two years now and are used to being held accountable for their work, anyway, they took the little crumbs offered and ran with it. They have to create a minimum of 12 Power Point slides including a bio, examples of work, and criticisms for each author. We had some fun figuring out what backgrounds to use to convey a work of importance, for example Mark Twain's background is a river scene with a rope swing hanging from one of the trees and Conrad's is a jungle. When this project is finished, I am going to try to sit in on some of the presentations.


This weekend I'm on call for Domestic Violence again, one shift for Trenton and one shift for Hopewell. I hope that things are calm and no one will be calling. Even after all the hours of training, I would be happy if there was no need to respond. Sigh



I'll leave you with a shot of a visitor to one of the trees out front.

No comments: